Monday, February 8, 2010

Oscar Nominations

Because I am determined not to give myself a stroke, I will concede that a few of these Oscar nominations for Unobtainium, The Movie are not bonkers.

For example, art direction -- whatever the hell that is, sure. Why not? It sounds like a slightly different way of saying the combination of visual effects, set design, costumes, and makeup, and in these respects ... again, sure. Unobtainium, The Movie showed demonstrable skill in these areas.

Or take sound mixing and sound editing (please!) -- for all I know, these are truly distinct sub-disciplines in the art of film, enough so as to merit separate Oscars. Whatever. Unobtainium, The Movie did interesting-enough things with noise to accompany all the flying dragons and gleaming blue warriors.

As for original score, I say: meh. It's rare that a talky's soundtrack really ignites anyone's breeches. I took some interest back when The Piano was eligible for that, but it didn't even get the nomination. Schindler's List did instead, and who can really argue?

OK, so the stroke risk is passed, but these nominations are crap. The Road did not garner even a single nomination. Q.E.D.

(via Rust Belt Philosophy)

2 comments:

Reuben said...

Just saw South Park episode "Dances with Smurfs" last night, am wondering if you've seen it, would recommend it as a superior remedy for apoplexy if you're into that kinda thing.

Dale said...

Reuben, I don't think I've seen that episode, but it sounds good (since it's a South Park episode and all).