Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Anonymous the Grammatical Strikes Again: Cranky, or Cranky Like a Fox?

Anonymous the Grammatical has commented again -- not even a full month since the first time -- and has done so in a way that leaves his/her/its precise meaning unclear:

National Grammar day is TOMORROW, March 4th. Today is Wednesday March 3rd.
The statement is true, or maybe I should say TRUE; today is March 3rd, and tomorrow is March 4th, and tomorrow is National Grammar Day. It would be perverse to deny any of these assertions of fact, and despite that, I will not. I concede.

My cavil, I confess, is grounded in a bit of conjecture. A careful inspection of this screen scrape, showing the title and header of the post to which Anonymous the Grammatical's second-ever comment was made, reveals that the post's date was Wednesday, March 4th, 2009:


I infer that Anonymous the Grammatical has implicitly accused me of mistaking today's date for Wednesday, March 4th. I have not. I am aware that today is Wednesday, March 3rd. No matter how intently we seek it, we will find no Wednesday, March 4th in 2010 -- not on any calendar worth its pixels. However, in 2009 -- the year in which I made the post to which the comment was added -- there did exist a Wednesday, March 4th, as an inspection of this legitimate, non-fraudulent, boringly prosaic calendar reveals:


Because I am a cheerful, positive, and well-meaning sort of Category Five Asshole, I draw the further inference that Anonymous the Grammatical's true aim was not to make a correction, but to make a deliberately faulty correction that would draw me out and bring my attention, and all the fame-making might this precious, precious blog, to tomorrow's celebration of National Grammar Day.* It worked!

Well played, Anonymous the Grammatical.


----
* As it is every year, I will observe National Grammar Day in the traditional way (for all I know) by the eating of raw cabbage, the wearing of brightly-colored shoelaces, and above all, the issuance of harsh, unsolicited comments about others' grammar and usage.

2 comments:

larryniven said...

"As it is every year, I will observe National Grammar Day in the traditional way (for all I know) by the eating of raw cabbage, the wearing of brightly-colored shoelaces, and above all, the issuance of harsh, unsolicited comments about others' grammar and usage."

Bring it. (Or does that count as solicitation?)

Dale said...

I only brought enough cabbage for one. Well, maybe one and a half.

That last "sentence" is a sentence fragment. Shame on me.