Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Earth: Two Views

The first view -- the flat earth viewpoint -- arrives from among the more thoughtful of my right-wing social networking friends:


For those who can't see the image clearly, and for those who would rather not, friend Li'l Cheney has said:

FYI climate change earthies - On March 27th at 8:30 pm I will be turning on every single d@mn light in my house. Oh, yeah - they will be full incandescent 100 watt babies. In fact, the gym uses 1,800 watts alone! Yee haw! Just remember this while you sit in the dark "helping" the earth!
Yes -- long story, totally not worth it -- Li'l Cheney has a gym. Li'l Cheney will be illuminating that gym and the rest of his abode at max power to commemorate Earth Hour (the tyranny is loosed upon us on March 27 at 8:30pm local time). I also expect him to use the word "hippie" even more frequently than usual during that hour.

I'm not sure what I'll be doing that hour, but I am reasonably sure it won't be calculated to impress my political foes.

The second view -- the oblate spheroid viewpoint -- comes illustrated with a graph, and hails from Matt Yglesias:
We passed the Clean Air Act and created the Environmental Protection Agency. And as Mark Perry from the conservative American Enterprise Institute points out these environmental policies worked and the air is now far cleaner ...
After which, Yglesias describes the tortuous route by which the AEI hack contrives to demonstrate that making legally-enforceable rules against pollution has had no effect on pollution, which, of course, stands to reason and angers hippies.

3 comments:

Phila said...

It doesn't seem like "rational self-interest" to me. But then, neither does calling oneself "Li'l Cheney."

Dale said...

Phila, I agree. It shows (I am told regularly) that we need to do more reading in the theology of Ayn Rand, Milton Friedman, Robert Nozick, and whatever they're faxing out of the AEI and Cato this morning. Verily "rational self-interest" works in mysterious ways.

Tim Keller said...

hey didnt really read the article, but i read your blog description ill be checking back often

check out my blog
2 new posts http://everydaywithkeller.weebly.com/index.html