Thursday, April 15, 2010

The USA's Comparative Advantage Illustrated

The fertile minds at KFC have surveyed the world of fast food, seen its appalling shortfalls of variety and abundance, and have responded:
The Double Down is a product offered by Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC). The Double Down contains "bacon, two different kinds of melted cheese, the Colonel’s secret sauce... pinched in between two pieces of Original Recipe chicken fillets." ... KFC describes the Double Down as a "sandwich" although it does not have bread.
Who says America doesn't make things any more?

Really, if you think about it, and then think about it some more, and then think about it a little longer, the KFC Double Down transcends meat. It is meat beyond meat -– meat that refers back to meat, signifies meat, represents meat representing itself. It is meta-meat.

3 comments:

Serah B. said...

I'm going to go vomit now, and then (after brushing my teeth with toothpaste that has not been tested on animals) I'm going to go eat some tofu.

Dale said...

Serah, I find staring at it gradually reduces the shock, but it takes a while.

Bon appetit!

Samuel John Klein Portlandiensis said...

There is something about that "sandwich" that turns my stomach.

Here's the ironic part: I'm no slouch when it comes to eating meat, grease, and salt. You might say my diet has been, in some major ways, the exemplar of American cuisine.

Very processed, chemically flavored, quite possibly inorganic. And delicious! Nobody knows how to make simulated food like the USA! Every slice of American "cheese" (or that amazing morsel, "potted meat") has been a little slice of heaven.

I eat to live and live to eat, and incidentally prove the adage that without chemicals, life itself would be impossible.

But I look at the KFC Double Down and even I go "pull up! pull up! we've gone too far!"

And I don't know why! Deep fried anything - check! Ambiguiously flavored dreesing - down with that! Bacon! BACON!

Put them together and they make his omnivore want to go check out a copy of the Whole Earth Catalog and eat nothing but nasturtiums for the rest of my life.

The feeling I get when I look at that picture is the same feeling my mouth had when I tried a bite of that famous "Bacon Explosion" that swept the world the other year. To my surprised, the Bacon Explosion did not leave my taste buds begging for more ... it left them begging for mercy.

At least there ought to be a law here. For something to be, legally and culinarily speaking, a "sandwich", the "bun" should always ... always ... be "bread".

And nothing else.

If this isn't the mene mene tekel of American culture (or what it amounts to) then either nothing can be ... or it happened, and we missed it.

Bleagh.