Thursday, May 20, 2010

Drawing Mohammed

I try to do very nearly everything I read, so when I read, on the blog "Everyone Draw Mohammed," that everyone should draw Mohammed, I decided I would draw Mohammed -- or rather, because I can't draw worth a shit, I decided I would commission a drawing of Mohammed. So I did!

In this version, Mohammed has a sword, a scowl, and a terrible gash across his chest. He's fighting mad at infidels!

There have been better efforts than this, if you can believe it: this one, this one, and this one, for example; my absolute favorite is this brilliant work at Apophatic Attic:


Will these drawings of Mohammed change the world? Will it make certain pants-peeing Muslims reconsider their obsession with representations of their prophet? Doubtful. Then again, "why are you exercising your right to free expression" is irrelevant; no free person is bound to answer it. We express ourselves for our own reasons or for none at all, with or without objectives or rationale.

We are not always agreeable, but we are always free, and while our agreeableness is open to modulation, our our freedom is not subject to negotiation.

2 comments:

Reuben said...

Umm, I'm fairly confident that the purple one is actually Jesus, judging from other photographs of 'em. But that's okay. Equal time, I guess.

Dale said...

Reuben, shhhh ... don't let this get out, but they're basically the same dude when it comes to facial features and how they look in a purple jumper. They could stunt-butt for one another.

He looks a little Jesus-y to me too, but whatever.