Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Thanks to Paul Kurtz

The June/July 2010 issue of Free Inquiry magazine features a point-counterpoint between Gary J. Whittenberger and Paul Kurtz over Kurtz's editorial in the previous issue of the magazine.

I had planned a post taking a side in that point-counterpoint -- I had quotations from each typed out and ready -- but then I learned that a week ago, the Center for Inquiry accepted Paul Kurtz's resignation.

That being so, I decided this is neither the time nor the place to re-hash an already warmed-over skirmish, but rather the time and the place to thank Dr. Kurtz for his many decades of work for humanism, science, philosophy, and critical thinking.

Some of the very first things I read in working out out my own views on faith were back issues of The Humanist in the Ponca City library -- I know! It surprises me too! -- and given that I read every issue they had on file, it surely stretched back to the period when he edited the magazine. As far back as the early 1980s, his concerns have been my concerns to one degree or another, and his writings have been a vehicle to grappling with those concerns.

I have not always agreed with Dr. Kurtz, but no one alive today has done more to defend reason from nonsense or advance the cause of free thought.

Thank you, Paul Kurtz.

No comments: