Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ascot's Fables

Don't get me wrong, there exists educational value in the video posted below, but it's not what its creators intended. The value of what it teaches ranges from the slight to the dubious to the asymptotically-approaching-zero, but it is something rather than nothing.

First, the person doing the speaking is so cartoonishly gay that he can serve as a baseline, a sort of speedometer check applied to the perception of male sexuality (i.e., "gay-dar"), to wit: if this person doesn't seem gay to you, then you should take this opportunity to re-think and recalibrate what seems gay to you.

Second, the speaker accurately characterizes the view of homosexuality and homosexuals found in the Bible: it is unambiguously against it and them.

The lessons, such as they are, end there, and feckless and unwelcome though they may be, they're more interesting and useful than what the wearer of the gigantic ascot intends to convey: that everyone should adopt his favorite god's view of the gay people, and that to do otherwise is to reserve an indefinite stay in a hell that is, yes, flaming, perhaps colorful, arguably even flamboyant in its way, and quite possibly set to loud music from Broadway musicals, but all of these in a very bad way -- a place where there are no ascots, only sad people with bare necks.



(via Dan Savage)

3 comments:

Samuel John Klein Portlandiensis said...

So I was watching this video as long as I was able and I was thinking about how funny something was.

I'm sure it might seem non-sequitur, but bear with me. I won't beat it to death.

In about 5 billion years, give-or-take, the Sun will end its life, taking the Earth with it.

Every account of this speaks of the situation as though Mankind will have to worry about finding a place to move.

Mankind isn't going to even exist in 5 billion years. Do we even have a solid handle on what 5 billion years means?

Meanwhile anti-gay crusaders continue to punish gay people for being gay, and people like Adam help them.

Does anyone see where I'm going with all this?

Dale said...

I think I see: this preoccupation with people's sexual thoughts has passed beyond creepy, well past stupid, zoomed right past dangerous, and has become whatever comes after that -- sociopathic? I'm not sure there's a proper word for it. And yet it endures.

The self-loathing lurking behind this video is horrible.

Samuel John Klein Portlandiensis said...

You have my number there Dale.

I've found this cosmically disappointing of late.

And, it may sound condescending, but I really feel sorry for that fellow. It's bad enough that society has taught him to hate himself for who he is. The religulous amongst us have him so despising himself that he thinks he can even it up by loudly beating his breast for a God who, if He exists ... probably really isn't paying attention to him.

I've said it before; I'll say it again. If I ever go all the way to atheism, it'll be because of Christians.

People know the difference between good and bad without being told. Good people will do good, bad people will do bad. It takes religion for people to do evil in the name of good.