Friday, June 25, 2010

This Is Not An Objective Post About Crazy Heart


Once in a great while, a movie comes along that seems to have followed me around for several years gathering up threads from my mental and emotional life in order to collect them, bind them, and weave them into a two-hour drama presented in widescreen format. Crazy Heart is such a film, and for all I know, it's possible another exists.

I'll leave it on that purposely vague, admittedly non-objective, and probably unhelpful note and simply add that I can't recommend this film highly enough, even as a little voice inside me resists the urge to exaggerate its overall quality.

It's possible my threads are not everyone's.

I feel firmer ground beneath the claim that the performances of Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Robert Duval, Colin Farrel, and minor players in smaller roles are as superb and absorbing as all the hype suggests.

No comments: