Monday, July 19, 2010

Barely

Monday is not fun-day:

  • Earlier today I quipped on twitter -- tweeted on quipper? quit on tweeper? twipped? -- that I thought the dentist had injected novacaine directly into my brain. I was barely joking at the time and in hindsight it's no longer funny. I think the fucker injected novavaine directly into my brain. It sounds fun (arguably) but it isn't. Oh, the things we endure for the sake of making amends for the teeth we've allowed to rot by not bothering to take proper care of them. If you still have any teeth left, you should floss or whatever so you won't have any novacaine injected directly into your brain.
  • I trust someone has already alerted Karen Armstrong, Reza Aslan, and Madeleine Bunting to the shoddy, impertinent scholarship and deep unseriousness of Dutch theologian Herman Bavinck, who defined Christianity in these terms:

    The essence of the Christian religion consists in the reality that the creation of the Father, ruined by sin, is restored in the death of the Son of God, and re-created by the grace of the Holy Spirit into a kingdom of God.
    How disappointingly simple-minded! If he hadn't been such an amateurish scribbler, Bavinck might have understood that the faith to which he devoted his life has nothing to do with propositions about the cosmos. It's only about being kind, manifesting stuff through other stuff, and the 99 names of transcendence.
  • I refudiate everything until my brain is no longer so numb.

2 comments:

French Weasel said...

It enrichens us all when, like Sarah Palin, we exercise our creativitiness. Plus, it makes us sound more intelligenter! N'est pas?

Dale said...

All them smart people make up new fancy words.