Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 10 — A song that makes you fall asleep

Sweet Jebus in blue jeans has this meme revealed that it was not optimized for narcoleptics! Ahem. Which is to say, I can fall asleep to any music.

But OK, I'll go with it: I have long admired the somnolent quality (and the title) of Yo La Tengo's And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out, and I truly don't mean that as an insult, nor as damnation by faint praise. It's the rare album that dares to try to establish a consistent thematic-musical-emotional mood that's interesting and worth absorbing -- I am pointedly excluding those albums that manage a consistent "I am screaming and angry" mood, or an "I am ever so horny" mood, as those are as common as sand grains and generally almost as interesting.

YLT's And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out sets and sustains a tranquil, thoughtful mood that evokes a rainy, Sunday afternoon. Even including the one or two brief squalls it offers, it is, therefore, not for every mood, but when it fits, it fits as nothing else I know.

A representative song from it is "Our Way to Fall."

This is part of the 30-Day Music Meme.

No comments: