Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 14 — A song that no one would expect you to love

This day 14 entry is a blaring invitation for the participant to announce how boldy adventurous he/she is in musical tastes: I love John Cage's 4'33" and the Beatles' "Revolution #9"! I adore all 20+ minutes of the album version of Sonic Youth's "The Diamond Sea"! My favorite song is the half hour of looping pond sounds that Neko Case tacked to the end of Middle Cyclone -- I can lip-synch to every cricket and frog! Looky me! My musical tastes are more 'indy' and 'off the grid' than everyone else's!

Whatever. I don't like any of those, with the exception of the first five or six minutes of "The Diamond Sea" when it's something more than noodling. I enjoy a wide variety of songs spanning genre and style, mood and era, and I'll leave what "no one would expect" to no one, or to anyone who happens to want it for some unaccountable reason.

This is part of the 30-Day Music Meme.

3 comments:

Anon Weasel said...

I'm not really known for my love of punk, which is why no one would expect me to love (?) 'I'm Shipping Up To Boston' by the Dropkick Murphys, but I like it enough to give it a mention on this celebrated 14th day of July.

To balance that out, another piece I never tire of is 'Let Me Count the Ways' by Lyle Mays from his Solo Improv album. This one is not for you, Dale, unless you have a sudden and unlikely bout of insomnia.

Dale said...

Anon Weasel, it's funny you should say that because I know you for nothing but your love of punk.

Weird how the world works sometimes, ainnit?

I like that song too, though it has a pretty brief shelf life. I could see it falling in and back out of the MP3 short list pretty rapidly.

A. Nonweasel said...

I was aiming for something that acknowledged Woody Guthrie in some small way on the date of his birth.