Friday, July 16, 2010

Day 16 — A song that you used to love but now hate

Again, hate is too strong a word, but I once loved and then came to hate (so to speak) all the songs on The Soft Bulletin by The Flaming Lips. I'll single out "Race for the Prize" as a harmless, even respectable song on a justifiably adored album that I suspect I allowed myself to hear a few dozen times too many within too brief a time span. By now the CD sits quietly on my shelf collecting particles of dust. I am not willing to get rid of it, but I am also not even willing to bring it into the MP3 era.

Even sampling the version linked here tells me I still need some time to pass before I can stand it again.

This is part of the 30-Day Music Meme.

2 comments:

AW said...

I know no matter how much I 'love' a song, it's going to die a horrible death, when I and my audio device gang up on it and put it in the loop of favored song (for the moment) status. Thus was the fate of Foster the People's "Pumped Up Kicks." And it wasn't so much that I 'loved' it, as it kind of took me hostage for awhile.

Now, if I have to hear it one more time, someone better outrun my gun.

Dale said...

AW, I can definitely relate. And yet there are those songs -- those special few -- that seem to live very, very long lives.