Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 19 — A song from your favourite album

The thought of naming one favorite album brings to mind plane crashes over the open sea, followed by a rough night on a raft clinging to only one CD (and presumably a CD player), washing up the next morning on a barely-mapped island, and spending the next several years listening only to that album while getting very good at spear-fishing, self-administered dentistry, and coconut recipes.

In the chaos of the plane crash, I hope I would grab from a bag filled with all my favorite albums -- I don't have only one -- and if so, I could do worse than to pull out Neko Case's Blacklisted. One of the fantastic songs from that album is "Pretty Girls," which is likely something I'd spend a lot of time thinking about while alone on that island.

The lyrics to this song might serve to remind me that, even for people not stranded on an island, even for pretty girls, life is difficult. "Deep Red Bells" from the same album, referring as it does to the Green River killings, would powerfully underscore the validity of that, especially for the pretty girls affected.

This is part of the 30-Day Music Meme.

2 comments:

Wilson!!! said...

This is a fantasy of mine, sans dentistry, right up there with winning the lottery.

I can't come up with just one song, but here is a line:

"Through the storm we reach the shore"

Name that tune to find out which album I'd like to bring with me.

Dale said...

I know but I'm not telling. I love that album too but it has been assigned a different place in my head. It's sacred music to me.