Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 20 — A song that you listen to when you're angry

Anger? Anger is an indulgence of weak-minded people.

Don't you just despise d-bags who say things like that? I do. Statements like that make me angry, and when I'm angry, I reach for something with loud guitars, loud vocals, loud drums, loud-whatever-other-instruments, a fast pace, and within easy reach because the last thing I want to do when I am already peeved is to go digging through the CD collection, MP3 library, or internets for something I imperfectly remember.

The angry listening moment is not for precision, and also not one meant to dwell on lyrics; I go for songs that feel angry musically, whether or not the lyrics have anything to do with anger, the thing I happen to be angry about, or anything else.

Songs that help me believe I am, in some way, punching something that deserves it include "People of the Sun" or "Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against the Machine, nearly anything by Ministry (this or this will do fine), "Milk It" or "Floyd the Barber" by Nirvana, "Bodies" or "X.Y.U." by Smashing Pumpkins, "London Calling" or "Know Your Rights" by the Clash, "Bullet the Blue Sky" by U2, "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden, "Ride the Lightning" by Metallica. And so on.

Neko Case specializes in a melancholic sort of anger with which I can strongly relate in many instances, though it doesn't harmonize with the straightforward punch-something anger outlined above: "Dirty Knife," "Hold On, Hold On," Red Tide," "Vengeance is Sleeping," "Mood to Burn Bridges," and so on.

It's probably not a good sign that this list of angry songs could go on and on and on.

This is part of the 30-Day Music Meme.

No comments: