Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 22 — A song that you listen to when you're sad

I covered a pretty major swath of my sad listening habits in the day 4 post in this series, but another instance of the same dynamic, applied to a different set of remembrances, attaches to anything in the soundtrack to The Piano by Michael Nyman. "The Heart Asks Pleasure First" will do nicely enough.

For whatever it's worth, I only barely remember the film by now, except that it starred a very young Anna Paquin and one of my favorite actresses, Holly Hunter. It is one of only two film soundtracks I have ever purchased, the other being the soundtrack to JFK, which is better than the movie, or certainly better than the movie's historical verisimilitude.

By now The Piano's soundtrack is, in my head, utterly detached from the movie and instead to real characters from my real life I dearly miss. Anything from it reduces me to tears almost immediately.

This is part of the 30-Day Music Meme.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful piano piece. Feelings that deep often transcend words.

The song I listen to when I'm sad is "Company" by Rickie Lee Jones. It's a pretty old song and at first it reminded me of my brother when he enlisted in the Army and was stationed in Korea. At the time, I sensed this experience would change our relationship and he wouldn't be the same person when he got back. I was right; he was never the same after that. He got lost in drugs and alcohol for many years, estranged from the rest of the family until he died this past February.

Now the lyrics remind me that there's no one left who really understands what we endured as kids and how that shaped what we became.

Wow, I really can wallow in it when given the chance!