Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 24 — A song that you want to play at your funeral

Leonard Cohen's "Stories of the Street" has, to my ears, a wistful, funereal air to it, though I would be the second or third to admit it's no quintessential dirge.

If there's a desire for maudlin, observers might consider the music of Laura Cantrell. Her covers of "Oh So Many Years" and "When the Roses Bloom Again" seem as if synthesized in a laboratory to produce melancholy, and "The Way It Is" exhibits her voice at the height of its beauty and power.

That said, I really think death rites are for the comfort and aid of the living, so I am reluctant to get too uptight detailing the soundtrack, visual effects, or production values. Whatever works.

The last time I checked, bagging up my remains and leaving them at the curbside would only cost around $100 extra for that month, provided someone calls to let them know to expect the extra weight, and so long as it's out there by 6am, clearly separated from the yard debris, not mingled with any household toxins, and not oozing. $100 is not cheap, but it's better than getting dinged for illegally disposing of the carcass in the river or an empty lot, and considerably less expensive than a typical plot burial or cremation.

Whatever the guys are playing on their iPods as the garbage truck pulls up and hauls away my remains is fine with me. I mean, within reason -- please no Lionel Ritchie, Phil Collins, Steve Miller, or Kenny fucking G.

This is part of the 30-Day Music Meme.

No comments: