Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 26 — A song that you can play on an instrument

I can barely -- only barely -- scratch out the bass tabs to "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes, but with that said, I don't know enough about playing bass to properly insult good bass players. I am more confident in saying I can handle the drum part to that song, along with several other songs by White Stripes.

I can play the drum part for quite a few AC/DC songs, especially from Back in Black, e.g., "Hell's Bells" and "You Shook Me All Night Long," which is not much more than to say I have a drum kit and know which things to hit with which ends of the sticks.

If I ever bothered to practice, I could play more complex parts. There have been points in my life when I would have been justified to give a longer list of more difficult songs than the above, but not today. I have an absurdly large mental inventory of drum parts floating through my head -- including songs I don't even like and have never liked -- but the coordination needed to produce the sounds I know to expect needs constant tending.

And of course, I don't claim that knowing a part in this sense translates into the ability to play it -- there are plenty of professional drummers whose playing I could never match no matter how much practice I put in -- Lars Ulrich and Neil Peart, to pick two easy examples -- and not only because my drum kit (pictured in all its neglected glory) is more limited than theirs.

This is part of the 30-Day Music Meme.

No comments: