Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 27 — A song that you wish you could play

I wish I could play the guitar and the piano in the way that I wish I could speak German: I'm not willing to put in the work, but it would be delightful if the knowledge just showed up my head one morning. I have more interest in playing the drums, and it will shock every drummer approximately my age to hear that I regard "Tom Sawyer" by Rush as a benchmark. Every detail of it is right there in my head every morning, but I am many, many long hours of practice away from approximating it competently.

Not so this guy, who nailed it along with the Exit Stage Left version (!!) of "YYZ." Impressive!

The point is, if I could play those, I am confident I could play a lot of things that appeal to my inner percussionist in some way that's difficult to pin down -- say, "Weird Fishes / Arpeggi" by Radiohead, "Mistaken for Strangers" by The National, or "Split Needles" by The Shins.

This is part of the 30-Day Music Meme.

No comments: