Tuesday, July 13, 2010

To Anonymous

Anonymous commenters to this precious, precious blog, this goes out to you. I will start by saying I appreciate your comments. When this is not a dialog, it becomes even more pointless and boring.

So, with that said: I fully understand your desire to comment anonymously -- who wants to create another goddamn account on the internet, track another goddamn username / password combination? I don't. I get it.

Or maybe you don't want to associate your real-life self with the likes of this precious, precious blog. I don't either most of the time! I truly understand that too.

As for the weaselry of wanting to chip in without taking any responsibility for what you say, I can say that doesn't worry me. If you have something substantive to say, or something even approaching to substantive, I'll post it. If you just call names, I still might post it. If you post threats, or keep repeating a bunch of tiresome boilerplate, or type a weird concatenation of links to penis-enlargement schemes or UFO conspiracy theories or otherwise fail to contribute in a useful or interesting way, I will trash it. This happens a lot. Whatever.

I ask simply this: if you comment anonymously, please use the method shown to the right. As you can see, you can enter any name you wish, and any URL you wish. It doesn't have to be the same name or URL every time. It won't be "attached" to you via a cookie or whatever.

Using this method, you can associate your comment with an identifier other than "Anonymous," which can help avoid situations where posts collect multiple comments by "Anonymous" and it becomes impossible to tell who is saying what.

Thanks a bunch!

6 comments:

Chucky Cheez said...

Blah blah

(You asked for it)

Snowbrush said...

Damn, I guess it DOES work. Kind of scares a person that you really can bullshit your way onto a blog. Of course, I DO moderate comments.

Snowy Owl said...

Testing, Testing.

Chucky Cheez said...

The above commenter is not the real Chucky Cheez, but an imposter. I am the real, genuine Chucky Cheez!

(But you did ask for it)

Dale said...

@Chuckys Cheez -- I think you're *both* Chucky Cheez's seasonal helpers, bound by your slavery contract to impersonate Mr. Cheez whenever called upon.

@Snowbrush/Snowy Owl -- I resisted moderating for a long time. And then I gave up the resisting. It gets really ridiculous without it.

Snowbrush said...

"I resisted moderating for a long time. And then I gave up the resisting."

It's not just a pain to the blog owner, but a pain to his readers, esp the ones who elect to receive comments. The latter makes it the responsible thing to do.

" who wants to create another goddamn account on the internet, track another goddamn username / password combination?"

Because the more passwords one has, the more his life matters. I read this on the Internet, so it has to be true.