Saturday, August 7, 2010

Chickens and Horseshoes - Old Ideas Reconsidered

Have you ever had trouble chasing a flock of baby chicks into a coup before a rainstorm (or during a tornado)? Do your chickens sometimes break free of the fencing? Do you find it difficult to douse your chickens with de-lousing powder? Do your chickens sometimes roost on, even defecate on, the water fountain in the coup?

If you answered "YES!" to any of those questions, the attached image is just the thing for you (via Ludic Despair): an excerpt from a 1940's edition of Popular Mechanics, then apparently a leading journal of opinion and guidance on the chicken-keeping arts. 

I think modern readers can glean the broadest and most gleaming of insights from the last item concerning the usefulness of twine-suspended horseshoes in curbing animal transgressions. And I think I can point the way.

I have cats rather than chickens, but I don't have a lot of spare horseshoes lying around -- what am I, some kind of tiresome rustic? I do, however, have a number of superfluous remote controls, and I do have a little twine, so I have applied the idea to one of the windows to which the cats are forever jumping against my direct orders. If 1940s Popular Mechanics is not a complete sham, bumping against the twine-suspended remote control will deter the cats from the window from now on.

1 comment:

Parental Weasel said...

Nice use of the remotes. I never would've thought of that, but I did think of stringing up one of my teenagers. Not only does it act as a deterrent to the cat jumping (or doing anything really--she's usually traumatized into "cat"-atonia after that), it keeps the neighbors guessing.