Thursday, September 2, 2010

Failure to Represent

President Obama didn't have to mention George W. Bush in the latest declaration of the end of US combat operations in Iraq, but he chose to do so:
I'm mindful that the Iraq war has been a contentious issue at home. Here, too, it's time to turn the page. This afternoon, I spoke to former President George W. Bush. It's well known that he and I disagreed about the war from its outset. Yet no one can doubt President Bush's support for our troops, or his love of country and commitment to our security. [emphasis mine]
No, actually, many of us find it maddeningly easy to doubt President Bush's support for our troops, his love of country, and his commitment to our security.

What I find difficult to understand -- no, make that utterly baffling -- is President Obama's continuing compulsion to publicly reaffirm his acceptance of the depraved thugs who preceded him in the White House. I don't understand it, and I explicitly reject his attempt to speak for me in this matter. I don't accept the abuses and disgraces that Bush and Cheney orchestrated in the ongoing wars, and I continue not accepting them when Obama and Biden perpetuate them.

Condoning these abuses and the approach to war-making and diplomacy they embody with "turn the page" hand-waving might turn out to be Barack Obama's single most far-reaching act as president. Hypothetical future leaders with the courage of their convictions will have an extremely difficult time winding our way back out of this filthy, lawless morass.

For what it's worth -- surely less than the vote I cast in 2008, and we now realize how little that mattered -- I will keep my own counsel on what I count as probable, security-promoting, troops-supporting, and patriotic. In short, fuck you, Barack Obama. Slurp the Bush-Cheney junta on your own time, and stop imputing that hideousness others.

1 comment:

Sheldon said...

"is President Obama's continuing compulsion to publicly reaffirm his acceptance of the depraved thugs who preceded him in the White House."

Maybe its because he is one of those depraved thugs and simply played the role of the great progressive redeamer? Perhaps to help construct the illusion that there is some kind of choice of alternatives built into our so-called democratic political system? Anyway, thats my guess.

Funny thing is, he actually has fooled a good number of conservatives into thinking he is their public enemy #1.