Saturday, September 11, 2010

Holy Crap an American Kestrel!

Earlier today, as I ran along the banks of the crystal-clear waters of the Columbia River, I came upon a small hawk-like bird I immediately knew was not one of the Red-Tailed Hawks we commonly see in these parts.

The gleaming copper coloration of its back told me it was a bird I had never seen before (or never consciously) -- it was of a shade and intensity one doesn't commonly see in nature or easily forget -- and upon subsequent research on the internets and my two bird guides, I determined the plumes in question belonged to an exquisite American Kestrel.

This images above, lovely as they are, don't do justice to the bird I saw. The sight of it was enough to make a normal person into a "birder," or some other form of tedious panter that I am not presently. 

Previous entries in the series, each as worthwhile as this one: Holy Crap a Chukar!, Holy Crap an Osprey!, and Holy Crap a Bald Eagle!

No comments: