Saturday, September 25, 2010

National Punctuation Day?!?

I can't believe I failed to commemorate National Punctuation Day yesterday -- sometimes I really, really loathe myself -- but I still plan to use punctuation it's not too late to participate in the traditional haiku contest:
This year we're trying something a bit more literary—our first National Punctuation Day® Haiku Contest, with the winners receiving a plethora of punctuation goodies.

Send your best 5-7-5 (syllables, that is) poetry to me at Jeff@NationalPunctuationDay.com, and let the literary games begin! Haikus must be received by September 30 to be considered for prizes.
It doesn't quite say so, but I am making the assumption that the winning haikus will relate to punctuation in some way. With that assumption in my mind's haiku-generating module, I offer these inevitable winners:

Grammar nerds will say:
"Punctuation goes inside
the quotes." U-S-A!

Semicolons are
just like backup quarterbacks:
uninteresting.

Read the usage guides:
the comma has nine uses,
each of them boring.

My 'grammar is boring' theme isn't likely to endear me to the judges, but life goes on.

2 comments:

Eli said...

This is maybe my favorite title for a blog post ever. Just thought you should know.

Dale said...

Eli, thanks! Now I'll be inclined to write more of them while I'm slightly-to-very drunk.