Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Randomizers Within Randomizers

Using the 'random post' link near the top-right of this precious, precious blog, I fell upon this post from centuries ago, in which I listed the first five songs that come up on random within my MediaMonkey library. And then I picked a number out of the air and repeated it four more times.

A challenge remains a challenge even if it was never very interesting in the first place, so here are today's groups of five as belched forth from the software's pseudo-random algorithm:

Stereolab, "Barock - Plastic"
Bird and the Bee, "Witch"
Rilo Kiley, "The Good That Won't Come Out"
The Decemberists, "Shankill Butchers"
Broadcast, "Black Umbrellas"

Lucinda Williams, "Drunken Angel"
Grizzly Bear, "About Face"
Sonic Youth, "Or"
Yo La Tengo, "Daphnia"
The Arcade Fire, "Black Mirror"

I wish (The) Arcade Fire would decide whether they are Arcade Fire or The Arcade Fire. The metadata comes up both ways -- as "The Arcade Fire" for Neon Bible and Funeral, but as Arcade Fire for The Suburbs. Rock stars! Can't live with them, can't live near where they rehearse.

R.E.M., "These Days"
Pink Floyd, "Empty Spaces"
The National, "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks"
Portishead, "All Mine"
The Shins, "Turn A Square"

I was pleased to see this group of five spit forth one of the newer-to-me songs from the new-ish The National album, High Violet.

Leonard Cohen, "Love Calls You By Your Name"
DeVotchka, "Queen of the Surface Streets"
Franz Schubert (Fischer-Dieskau/Moore), "Du Bist Die Ruh"
Sonic Youth, "Shadow of a Doubt"
Mountain Goats, "International Small Arms Traffic Blues"

That last song includes the conceit that "our love is like the border between Greece and Albania," and because it is a Mountain Goats song, it actually works.

Bob Dylan, "Masters of War"
Portishead, "Only You"
Silver Jews, "There is a Place"
Radiohead, "Where I End and You Begin (The Sky is Falling In)"
R.E.M., "Maps and Legends"

Weird! Not one song by Neko Case came up. I hope she isn't mad at me.

I can strongly recommend almost all of these songs.

No comments: