Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Technology of the Future - The Thirty-Five Milli-Meter Film-Camera

It's just as T. Herman Zweibel observed in a slightly different context:

The insufferable downy-cheeked technocrats in my employ at the Onion News Net-Work have informed me that, due to some folderol about worm-holes aboard fantastical ships that ply the very oceans of the sky, my news organization can now see the future! Naturally I had them flogged for attempting to "shine me on," but my accountants tell me that they were speaking the truth. To which I said piffle—why would any-one in their right mind need to know the future?
Quite right, and yet the future has been visualized, and it takes the form of a method of portraiture that could revolutionize portraiture. Brace yourself for the Kodak version:



And now, the Vivitar version:



Most people will agree these ads bear eerie similarities with one another, suggesting that the laboratories of Kodak and Vivitar have stumbled upon these advances simultaneously -- each features the same old man snapping photographs at the viewer, the same old woman forcing the camera into the face of an unwitting child, the same old man forcing photographs into the faces of relations, the classic tell of a rip-off ("not sold in stores"), the same complaints about wires and screens.

This much is certain: in the future, as is true in the present, old people will be considered easy marks for hucksters and advertisers.

(via Portland Mercury)

2 comments:

Laura said...

Easy marks, yes. They bring it on themselves sometimes because they complain they don't "get it," but the truth is, they don't want to "get it." They don't accept change. I've worked as a caregiver for seniors. They are often a mighty stubborn bunch.

Dale said...

Laura, I believe it. It saddens me to see something like this, that so blatantly feeds on their understandable sense of confusion about things no one has ever bothered to explain in their terms. I'm not saying old people are, as a class, perfect darlings who make it easy in all cases --- I know better. But it can be done.