Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sagan Day 2010

Today is Carl Sagan Day, marking what would have been his 76th birthday had Jesus and/or Mohammed not snuffed out his life in 1996 for his many transgressions against the one true faith(s).

Sagan's The Dragons of Eden was the first "serious" book I ever read -- well, if I read one before that, it failed to stick in the memory -- and I was drawn to it on the strength of Cosmos, which remains one of the two or three best things ever to appear on the televisions.

"The Cosmic Calendar" made a showing in both The Dragons of Eden and the Cosmos series, and stands as just one of dozens of enchanting and staggering popularizations of science for which Sagan will be long remembered:

4 comments:

Sean G said...

I never did see Cosmos. I guess I was too young for it, either was I know it was not something my parents would have wanted to watch. Back in those days, pre VCR and cable, it was pretty much watch it or not. After reading this, however, I see that it is available on Netflix so I should be able to see it over the next several weeks or months. Thanks!

I've long appreciated the genius of Sagan, his open-mindedness to the unknown and thoughtful manner really impressed me. "Contact" is a great book and equally great movie, and back in the day knowing that he was a marijuana advocate and user was always fun to throw in the faces of those who claimed pot was solely for losers.

Dale said...

Sean, I saw it mentioned somewhere that all of the Cosmos series is available for free on hulu.com, so there's that too.

I adore it, even though it's pretty astronomy-heavy and astronomy isn't my very favorite science.

Sean G said...

I love astronomy so I'm even more excited to check it out. Netflix is convenient because it remembers where you left off, so I can watch 20-30 minutes at a time, shut down the computer, and not have to hunt for my place. Plus I don't use their free streaming enough as it is.

Anyway, this is as good a spot as any to mention that it seems that your favorite science is philosophy, and so much of what you've written lately has been really over my head! I'm glad to be looking at intelligent, thoughtful blogs, but it's a little humbling to be reminded how I'm not nearly as smart as I think I am. Or maybe that I am more mulcible than I had previously thought. :)

Dale said...

Sean, I do love philosophy, but I barely know what I'm doing or saying in it -- that's the one thing I know.

One of the great things about blogging is to put what we know in motion, watch it hit the world, observe what happens, and try to learn from it. That's all any of us can do!