Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cuccinelli! Thou shouldst be living at this hour!

I hope this Washington-administration US statute is not still in effect:
[E]very citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch, with a box therein, to contain not less than twenty four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball; or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch, and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder; and shall appear so armed, accoutred and provided, when called out to exercise or into service, except, that when called out on company days to exercise only, he may appear without a knapsack.
I am woefully out of compliance -- I don't have a sufficient bayonet, and even if I did, I wouldn't have a musket or firelock to which to attach it. Or do I? Off hand, I'm not sure what a firelock is.

To wikipedia! It helpfully notes that
The term firelock was originally applied, as the name suggests, to the matchlock, but was later successively applied to the wheellock and then the flintlock as each was invented.
OK then. I do not have a matchlock, nor a wheellock, nor a flintlock. Surely this law represents a violation of our constitutional liberties as they were understood before the Washington administration warped them, but the depredations of executive authority will do as they will do. Please write me while I'm detained in the stockade.

Cf. this overheated poem and this overheated hack politician.

2 comments:

Paul Sunstone said...

I am shocked, Sir, that you have neither a bayonet nor a study flintlock. I myself have them in my possession at all times. At the very least, they help me get a forward place in any line I must stand in. Especially after one or two discharges of the flintlock.

Dale said...

Paul, Xmas is just around the corner, so I'm hoping that one of those long slender packages is a nice sharp bayonet for me ...