Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What Does God Want to Do With Us When We're Alone at Home?

At last! Texans avowing an obscure brand of monotheism -- "Christianity" (I think I have it spelled correctly) -- have managed to wedge their creed into public view despite wave upon wave of bus-side advertisements touting the harmlessness of nonbelief:



As the man in the vest and the beard says, suggesting what sounds like a very promising Infographic by The Onion (e.g.):

When people go home and they're by themselves, you know, is god there? And what does he want to do with me?
Seriously, is god there when you're there alone? I've heard he's everywhere, but I always just assumed that was just a cheap boast along the lines of channel two's claim that it has an eye in the sky over Portland or the silly schoolhouse folklore that Americans live in a representative democracy.

I hope it's just a boast. I don't want old men who want to do things with me rummaging around my house -- I just don't swing that way. I have this recurring nightmare that I arrive home to find an old coot sitting on the couch eating chips and sardines in his underwear. I try to explain that he's in the wrong house (and eating food that's going to make the house smell of fish for ages to boot), but he pulls a knife and demands that I leave his house. Then it gets worse as he changes his mind and starts demanding that I stay in "his" house and begins rattling on about what he wants to do with me.

I prefer to wake from the nightmare about now. I prefer a lot of things. Don't mess with Texas!

(via Ophelia Benson)

2 comments:

Sean G said...

I like the guy worried that the ad might make people question their faith. Does he even consider the possibility that a faith so easily shaken isn't quite as strong as he claims it to be? If their religion is so powerful that God can watch over people in their home, you'd think He'd also be able to watch over them when they see a bus, maybe remind them that He's more powerful than an innocuous ad.

And to be honest, the ad campaign seems to be more a positive PR campaign for atheists than it is a conversion attempt... we non-believers are pretty readily maligned, it's a lot of work to remind people that you can be a nice guy without believing in an all-knowing invisible immortal floating in the air all around us.

Dale said...

Sean, Christians love power and influence as much as anyone, and yet they love portraying themselves as martyrs. They're frequently terrible at noticing that "I am a stricken martyr for my creed" and "my creed is the dominant one in society and its followers deserve special status" do NOT hang together well.