Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Got Bangalore III: The Denouement

This is a brief update on The Crisis At Work to note that I have landed a different job and will start that in a few weeks. The job is roughly comparable to my present one, but in many respects closer to my work-related interests and strengths.

Happily, it appears I will not need to take up residence on the sidewalks while scratching out a living selling hand-drawn caricatures to strangers. And I won't have to learn how to draw caricatures.

To the Attitude Is Everything school: through several interviews, applications, and blind pathways along the job search rat maze, I made this change without holding a single positive thought in my head for as much as a second. The entire exercise was fueled by rage, self-pity, fear, self-doubt, despair, paranoia that at times approached conspiratorial, lugubrious interpretations of the smallest passing details, and throughout, the steady conviction that I would fail.

I escaped failure this time. If you're reading this, I wish you the very best if faced with a similar challenge, and I sincerely hope it helps to point out that attitude is far from everything. If you ask me, it is better to be strong, focused, and clear-eyed than to waste effort portraying a sunny version of yourself.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Congratulations on your new job!

Eli said...

Congratulations, and good luck avoiding a repeat of this tragic episode. Also, way to stick to your bitter, cynical principles; truly you are a model for us all. ;-)

Dale said...

Laura, Eli, thanks. It's a huge relief not to be in that miserable limbo. I have as clear an idea as I want of what so many millions of fellow working people have been enduring since the downturn that started in 2007 -- or the series of them that have struck since 1800 if you want to get technical -- and having touched that stove if ever so briefly and lightly as a person-looking-for-work, I can assure you it's horrible. It's amazing how we trifle with such things.