Saturday, October 15, 2011

2011 Blue Lake 15k - The Glory

I just completed the Blue Lake 15k in a time of 1:05:44 (7:03 min/mi pace, official) and while this isn't the first time I've done this event, it is the first time they gave out medals for our trouble -- and nice medals they are!

Trouble, I say? There's no trouble. This course begins and ends in Blue Lake park, and when it's outside the park, it's along a calm stretch of road leading out to the Troutdale Airport. This is a lovely spot on a bad day, but on a near-perfect Fall day like today, it's nothing short of glorious.

It's the kind of flat course that most people love more than I do -- I prefer some hills along the way -- but it would be an exaggeration to call it easy no matter the terrain. Easy is a modifier that sits awkwardly beside any 9.3 mile footrace.

I made a point of personally thanking every volunteer I saw today -- those keeping us safe from traffic, those who prepared the generous post-race food, those who handed out drinks along the way,  those who marked the course and kept the records, and all the others -- but I want to take this chance to thank them all again. As always, I congratulate all the runners who came along with me.

No comments: